Irish Publisher Garlanna And Second Nature Clinch Distribution In Leekes

Garlanna, the County Wicklow-based greeting card publisher has long had aspirations to move into the UK greeting card market – well now it has, with major installations now up and running in several of the Leekes department stores in the group and others to follow. 

The family-owned greeting card business, headed up by Alan and Jackie McNamee has installed a huge card ‘department’ in Leekes’ flagship store in Melksham, Wiltshire which followed on from the inaugural sizeable installation in its Cross Hands store with the Llantrisant store next on the list.

Above: (left-right) Garlanna’s Alan MacNamee, Leekes’ Amanda Reed and Second Nature’s Tim West.
Above: (left-right) Garlanna’s Alan MacNamee, Leekes’ Amanda Reed and Second Nature’s Tim West.

Garlanna’s products account for around 75% of the displays of cards and wrap in Leekes’ new look department with Second Nature providing the remaining 25% of skus.

“It is great for us to be able to properly show the Garlanna look and feel with our friends at Second Nature adding a more hand-crafted element,” said Alan MacNamee, md of Garlanna. “The Leekes team have been so lovely to work with and we are pleased to say it is all going very well!”

Above: Garlanna has recently installed an expansive card ‘department’ in Leekes’ Melksham store which includes 24 metres of cards and wrappings.
Above: Garlanna has recently installed an expansive card ‘department’ in Leekes’ Melksham store which includes 24 metres of cards and wrappings.

Established in Rhondda, Wales in 1897, Leekes trades from six department stores in South Wales, South West England and the Midlands).

Leekes owns department stores in Wales in Cross Hands and Llantrisant, and a builders’ merchant at Tonypandy. Its stores in England are in Bilston, Hereford and Melksham (Wiltshire), together with showrooms for conservatories and windows at Thornbury (Gloucestershire) and Swindon. In addition, the Park Furnishers store in Bedminster continues to trade under its own name. (The company also owns the Vale Resort in the Vale of Glamorgan and the adjacent Hensol Castle, a conference and wedding venue.)

Garlanna is currently shipping its products out of Eire, but has also set up Garlanna UK.

Above: The growth of Garlanna has attracted the attention of the Irish press, including the Sunday Independent.
Above: The growth of Garlanna has attracted the attention of the Irish press, including the Sunday Independent.

Top: The Garlanna card display in Leekes’ Cross Hands store.

MORE NEWS
story 1 feature pic
 
Great atmosphere, exceptional speeches and a huge feeling of belonging at the GCA’s annual conference ...
story 2 feature pic
 
Southend MP showed support of the greeting card community during his lifetime...
story 3 feature pic (2)
 
Industry stalwart is to hang up his cardie boots after 44 years in the trade...
story 4 feature pic (1)
 
Bira applies the pressure for the Autumn Budget to include measures to help independent retailers ...
story 5 feature pic
 
Davina Parkhouse, founder of The Bean Hive shares some of the top sellers in the two shops...
Above: Danilo’s licensed musical advents, including one featuring Frozen are on the high seas, somewhere between China and the UK.
 
Publisher relays the huge cost to cashflow and sales by the delays ...
Get the latest news sent to your inbox
Subscribe to our daily newsletter

The list doesn't exist! Make sure you have imported the list on the 'Manage List Forms' page.